Monday 4 July 2011

Boozy Sultana-Choc Chip Biscuits

I'll make this one short and sweet for you, just like the biscuits!

125g softened butter
1/2c sugar
1 egg
1c SR flour
1/2c sultanas/raisins/currents/mixture, soaked in 2-3tbsp of rum (the actual quantity was a couple of "sloshes" out of the bottle)
1/2c dark chocolate chips

Pour rum over sultanas and leave to sit (should sit for a while, and you should stir occasionally if possible - when you're making Christmas cake you're supposed to leave the brandy to soak into the fruit overnight - but we all know how patient I am!).

Preheat oven to 180oC.

Cream butter and sugar, add egg, beat well.

Add sifted flour and mix into a smooth dough.

Drain sultanas (if there is any residual rum) and mix them into the dough along with the chocolate chips.

Roll into 24 or so walnut-sized balls and place on 2 trays lined with baking paper, evenly spaced.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned - watch the bottom of the biscuits as they catch quite easily.

Enjoy!

(This is the last one, by the way, otherwise the photo would have been of an artistically-piled stack of biscuits on a pretty plate instead of a lone biscuit in my hand, headed for my mouth. The others could not evade their fate for long enough for me to remember to obtain photographic evidence of them... oops... And NO, I DID NOT eat an entire batch of biscuits on my own!!! I sent at least 16 of them away with Grant. So I only ate about 1/3 of a batch of biscuits on my own. So there.)

Next time I'll soak the sultanas for longer. Also, I'll make sure I acually buy sultanas, instead of having to pick all the peel out of a packet of mixed fruit. Yes, I really did that. I was in the throes of baking before I realised. Also, I intended to soak the sultanas in dark rum, but discovered that the only dark rum in the house was Grant's top-shelf stuff, so I assumed he wouldn't appreciate me using it in cooking and instead opted for the cheap n nasty $8 Kmart Special white rum left behind by some random partygoer.

4 comments:

  1. Cookies are good :-)

    I would have used the dark rum - white rum is the drink of the devil (and not something I've ever used in cooking!). I figure, if it's already in the house, it's there to be consumed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think white spirits are often used in cooking, although I have come across a couple of desserts that involved vodka or gin, and one seafood dish, I believe. But I disagree that it is the drink of the devil because it is the foundation of many of my favourite cocktails... did someone have a bad rum experience? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with mine and Whipped's cookie exchange!

    ReplyDelete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...