Sunday 24 July 2011

101 Things #21: Learn to Make a Cosmopolitan

I acknowledge that I'm probably about ten to fifteen years behind the 8-ball on learning to make the cocktail made famous by the girls on Sex and the City, but I figure that it's better late than never!

Also, technically, I think I may have been underage at the time. Which would have stopped me from drinking. Of course.

*runs away giggling*

(More to the point, I probably couldn't afford to have more than one bottle of sprits on the go back then!)
Anyway, there seem to be a few variations on the theme but I went with the simplest:

1 shot Cointreau
1 shot vodka
1 shot cranberry juice
Ice
1/2 slice of lime

Shake the liquids with the ice. Strain into a martini glass, such as the below ones that my awesome brother bought a set of for me for my birthday. Sort of squeeze/twist/rip the piece of lime so that juice ends up in the glass, but so that the lime can still function as a garnish.

Note that I recommend using a proper cocktail shaker with an inbuilt seive, and not an old Cottees Topping milkshake shaker (you know the sort that used to come free with the topping every few summers?) and a seive, because it just goes everywhere and makes everything horrifically sticky. I also recommend keeping the spirits in the freezer for a colder drink.
Finally, I have one last, somewhat crude, observation/general health warning - perhaps quite fittingly for a drink made famous by Sex and the City, this cocktail can best be described as a leg-opener. I was drunk twice last night, and both times were about ten minutes into one of these puppies. They were the only drinks I had all night. If you're a single gal (or guy) out on the town I would recommend alternating these with a glass of water, presuming, of course, that you wish to remain in control of your faculties!!!

2 comments:

  1. well looky here! I have ALL of those ingredients in my house HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How convenient :)

    Actually, that was one of the things I liked about this cocktail - no call for freaky liquers that will sit on your shelf gathering dust forever!

    ReplyDelete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...