Thursday 20 December 2012

Pina Coladas

One of my 101 Things challenges was to learn to make a Pina Colada. I have become quite the connoiseur during my round-the-world trip, but discovered that there is no one way to make a Pina Colada. So, I took a recipe from a cookbook and then fiddled with it until it seemed right. And here's what I came up with - it will fill 6-8 martini glasses, but is really only four standard drinks for the whole batch. Not a bad option for a summer cocktail party, or a pre-Christmas drink (or three!).

1 regular tin of Golden Circle pineapple pieces in juice, chilled (I imagine freezing it would make a nicer cocktail)
3 shots of white rum, chilled
1 shot of coconut liquer (e.g. Malibu), chilled
1 tray of ice cubes
Pineapple juice, chilled, to taste
Sugar to coat the rim of the glass
Pineapple wedges with skin on for garnishing

Frost the rim of the glass with sugar by moistening it and dipping it in sugar.

Blend all ingredients as far as the juice together in a blender (how much pineapple juice you add is up to you, but I added about half a cup initially).

Pour into frosted martini glasses and garnish with pineapple wedge.

Refrigerate the blender jug until you need seconds (won't be long!).

Happy summer days, everyone!
 

4 comments:

  1. I believe that making drinks like this is liable to make you the most popular person in the neighbourhood! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to figure out how to make it in bulk and keep it cold. I can just see it now - me sitting out by the post box with a barrel of it, feeding passers-by with it :)

      Delete
  2. That is probably the one cocktail I haven't tried during both of my cruises! I shall have to try your recipe and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!?!?!?! Okay, I can kind of understand it given how good the P&O daiquiris and Toblerones are, but still. Mine are nowhere near as good as a "proper" one but definitely a worthy home version :)

      Delete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...