Monday 6 August 2012

Pad Thai-Inspired Chicken Stir Fry

Hey there Kiddies,

after my last long, rambly post, and seeing as how most of my readers are foody-type people, I have decided to give you a quick recipe to tide you all over until I bake something again!

Last weekend was one of those weekends that are full to the brim, where you rush about all day and then get to about four o'clock and realise you haven't done any shopping, nor have you gotten anything out of the freezer to defrost.

Great.

(Note: chicken fillets defrost far more quickly if you slice them thinly and spread the pieces out a bit. To stop them going all gross and dry and manky, put them in a plastic bag or container with the lid on)

After a bit of a ferret through the kitchen, I came up with a workable solution. It's not a fancy recipe but it does well with few ingredients in the house. I like to fool myself into thinking that it's a little better for you than Pad Thai, but it's probably not, although there is definitely less oil and I used lo-cal noodles. Note - I would not normally have had the lime in the house, but for the fact that I zested a few limes to put in white chocolate, coconut and lime ganache to fill my birthday cake. Yummo.

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken thigh fillets, fat removed, sliced thinly
Crushed garlic
Chilli sauce
Oil
Onion (I used red because it's what was in the house)
Broccoli, cut into small florets
Kale, sliced (an afterthought to add some more greenery, and, again, was in the house/garden)
More garlic!
Chang's super lo-cal noodles, rinsed and drained (although any cooked noodles would do, preferably rice)
Chopped cashews
More chilli sauce!
Brown sugar (approx. 2 heaped tsp)
Fish sauce (approx. 1 tbsp)
Soy sauce (approx. 1tsp)
Lime juice (approx. 2 limes' worth)
Cashews to garnish

I'm sorry but you're going to have to figure out the quantities yourself. It will depend on how many people you're feeding and what your taste buds are like. The dressing/marinade can be adjusted to suit your taste and the quantity you are making up, as can the chilli sauce. You could also add fresh chilli to give it some real zing, and some corriander/cilantro (which I just remembered I had a squeezy tube of and should have used but didn't. AND I have squeezy lemongrass! DAMNIT!!!). This dressing/marinade is also fantastic on a Thai beef salad, but that's another post for another (summer) day!

METHOD:

Heat about 1tbsp oil in a large frypan. Stir-fry chicken with a teaspoonful of crushed garlic and some chilli sauce (you'll need to taste test). When the chicken is cooked through remove from the heat and set aside.

There should be enough oil and juices left in the pan now to fry up your onion (until softened), broccoli (until bright green and heated through/cooked to your liking) and kale (until wilted - obviously add it much later than the other things). Add the chopped cashews and stir, then the drained noodles and mix until evenly distributed (tongs will help). If it starts to stick, add a little water. Add more chilli sauce to taste.

Add the chicken back in along with the dressing/marinade and mix it all through until everything is hot. Serve garnished with whole cashews.

Quick, easy and quite healthy. If you want to cut down on the calories, add more kale and broccoli and less cashews. Those puppies are quite deceptively high in energy!

12 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site Everyrecipe.com.au, where users can search through thousands of recipes from the best Australian food sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a lots of delicious recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/top-food-blogs.
    Follow the instructions on our site to add your own food blog to the list.

    Our concept is already live in France, Germany, the UK, the US and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. You can also find us on Facebook by following the link below: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everyrecipecomau/433258596697523

    If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us on info@everyrecipe.com.au. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Alldishes.co.uk, Touteslesrecettes.fr, Rezeptefinden.de, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything thats a healthy version of pad thai is def for me :) I agree about the qty's as well - each to their own ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, if I had to use scales and/or measuring cups for everything I cook I'd just never cook! :)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a much healthier version. I find if you tell yourself it is then your brain will be fooled in to thinking it is therefor any extra calories will go straight through. Good theory? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent theory! And in case you weren't already aware, calories leak out of broken biscuits (but only if they're broken when you get to them, like a packet of Tim-Tams that has been dropped and every single one is split down the middle). True story.

      Delete
  4. That dish sounds so delicious and so full of flavour. I love Thai food! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bug fan, too. I did a cooking class on my trip to Thailand and am quite disgusted with myself for not having cooked anything I learnt since I got back. It's silly because Thai is so easy!

      Delete
  5. What a great standby and everyone loves pad thai! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream of having a kitchen where I can whip up anything with what is lying around. I came close but then I moved house and had to give the good stuff to the neighbours :(

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to try this recipe!!! I love homemade Thai!

    Also, just wanted to let you know that Read, Rate & Review nominated you for a Versatile Award! Come on over and check it out!!!

    http://www.readrateandreview.com/2012/08/another-award-versatile-award.html

    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...