Wednesday 16 February 2011

Death of the English language

A little while back I took the following photo with my phone:

I wasn't entirely surprised with the blatant misuse of quotation marks in this instance - it was, after all, on the bread rack outside an Asian bakery in Port Adelaide. I didn't question whether the bread was special  in any way (or perhaps not special at all!), nor did I question whether it was bread, or something else entirely - "bread" for example.

I'm not trying to stereotype, but I am personally somewhat less surprised when I see punctuation errors in an Asian bakery on the formerly rough side of town than I would be in, say, a book shop in a relatively toffee-nosed shopping centre.

Which is why this stunned me:

So... are they not new titles? Or are they new, but not titles at all???

Sheesh. I guess that's what happens when you shop at discount book shops - they can't afford to get their signwriters to edit their work. Nuts to that!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's important to be generous when critiquing the English skills of non-native speakers. At least they are trying, and I doubt that it's an easy language to learn. Seeing as I don't speak any other languages, I shan't throw stones!

    On the other hand, when someone is a native English speaker, and presumably their work was checked by other native English speakers... that's lame. As are spelling mistakes in any electronic communication. Spell check, people!

    ReplyDelete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...